Ham & Turkey Pie
Recipe of the Month - Ham and Turkey Pie
I had a pleasant surprise a couple of weeks ago. I heard a heavy thud on the doormat and found that somebody had posted a large cookery book and several recipes cut from magazines from the 1950's. I couldn't see anybody and the matter remained a mystery until today when Mike Charles owned up to depositing his family recipe collection with me - thank you Mike.
What pleasure it has given me. This is adapted and slightly modernised from one of the recipes. It is useful for Christmas left-overs.
I onion, chopped 400g cooked turkey, diced
50g butter 200g cooked ham, diced
50g flour bOg cooked sprouts
500m1 left over gravy 1 bunch tarragon or tsp dried
200ml double cream Salt and pepper
I tsp mustard powder I pack shortcrust pastry
75g grated cheddar 1 egg, beaten
- Pre heat the oven to 180'C/gas 6
- Melt the buffer in a saucepan and soften the onion but avoid browning. Stir in the flour and cook for a minute then gradually add the gravy, stirring constantly. Simmer for 5 minutes and stir in the cream, mustard and cheese. Stir thoroughly.
- Add the turkey, ham, sprouts and tarragon. Season to taste but take care not to over season because the gravy may be sufficiently seasoned already.
- Tip the mixture into a large pie dish. Roll out the pastry and prick all over to ventilate the pie. Lift it on to the pie dish. Previously pressing a pastry line around the rim of the pe dish makes it easier to adhere. Pinch the edges to form a crust.
- Glaze with the egg and bake for 40 minutes or until golden and crispy.