Slow Cooked Lamb
1 lamb shoulder
Salt & pepper
Handful of rosemary
½ teaspoon cinnamon
2 heads garlic separated & peeled
Juice of 1 lemon
2 long sheets baking paper
- Pre heat the oven to gas mark 1/ 140’C
- Lightly coat lamb in olive oil & sear in a hot frying pan to colour it
- Lay 2 rectangles of baking paper across each other, in a roasting tin. Scatter with rosemary & pour a little olive oil in centre of paper & place the lamb on top. Dust the lamb with cinnamon. Place the garlic, underneath and over the joint. Pour on the lemon juice and more olive oil.
- Place the paper around the lamb and seal by folding. Place roasting tin in oven for 5 hours. Uncover and turn up to gas 7 for 10 minutes.
- The meat will be very tender. Keep warm for 10 minutes before carving.
Serve with warm pitta bread, Greek salad, green salad and houmous. People can fill the pitas with meat & salad or eat the bread on the side.
Supermarkets sell very acceptable houmous but never as tasty & fresh as home made. Just blend the following ingredients – this makes quite a lot but it freezes.
Add the water last, according to consistency.
1 tin chick peas, rinsed
1 cupful tahini paste
1 cupful olive oil
juice of 1 lemon
a few mint leaves
4 cloves garlic
up to a cup of water
Mix together the following ingredients
1 punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
½ large cucumber, peeled & sliced
1 small tub kalamata olives
1 handful chopped parsley
1 chopped red onion
1 pack feta cheese cubed
1 tablespoon vinaigrette