Slow cooked Shredded Beef in Barbecue Sauce
As I write, I can smell the aroma of this dish, wafting from the slow cooker. It’s a new gadget and was recommended to me by people at work, because it makes such a difference to midweek meals. Well, now my oven is broken and so I am glad that I bought the slow cooker.
1 kg brisket
1 tbsp oil
1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 thumbnail sized piece ginger, chopped (optional)
1 chilli, chopped
1 tbsp tomato puree
100 ml white wine vinegar
juice of 1 orange
1 tbsp soft brown sugar
1 tbsp honey
300 ml passata
150 ml stock
salt and pepper
- Preheat the slow cooker to low or the oven to 160’C/gas 3 and mix all the ingredients apart from the brisket and oil in a bowl.
- Heat the oil in a pan, season the brisket and fry on all sides until brown all over. Remove the joint and place in the slow cooker or a large casserole.
- Now pour all the barbeque sauce ingredients into the pan and heat to boiling.
- Tip the sauce into the slow cooker or casserole and then the oven. If you are cooking in the traditional oven, cook for three hours. Check that it doesn’t dry out and add a drop of water if it is too dry. If you are using a slow cooker cok on low for 6 – 8 hours.
- Remove from the oven and shred with 2 forks and mix the sauce through. Serve with salads and bread or new boiled potatoes and green beans.